Now approaching the publication of its eighth volume, and positioned as the official journal for IAFOR education conferences globally, the IAFOR Journal of Education (JoE) is moving into a new era. The JoE is an internationally reviewed and editorially independent Open Access interdisciplinary journal, indexed with Scopus and other indexing agencies.
The journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Dr Yvonne Masters, is calling for eleven Associate Editors to join an Editorial Board comprising the Executive Editor, the Editor-in-Chief, the Publications Manager, and six specialist-area Editors. The Associate Editors will have responsibility to assist the specialist-area Editor for one journal issue per year.
We are looking for experienced researchers and writers to act as Associate Editors, two each for the following journal issues:
- Technology in Education
- Undergraduate Education
- Education and the Liberal Arts
- Studies in Education
- Language Learning
We also require one Associate Editor to assist in the area of Inclusive Education.
Information in Brief
Candidates for the role of Editor should have:
- a PhD in a relevant field;
- a strong publication record;
- prior experience as a peer reviewer for relevant journals;
- some prior editorial experience;
- excellent English language skills;
- strong critical assessment abilities;
- excellent communication and time management skills.
If you are keen to gain further editorial experience and work with a progressive team to enhance the IAFOR Journal of Education, please see below, where a full role description and the criteria to be addressed can be found. There are also instructions on how to submit your application.
The closing date for applications is Friday, February 14, 2020.
Detailed Role Description
Role Description – The key roles of associate editor are:
- to assist in promoting scholarship in the specialist field associated with the specific journal issue;
- to encourage new and established authors to submit articles;
- to work with the editor to establish a reliable panel of expert reviewers;
- to assist the editor to ensure that deadlines are met;
- to assist the editor in making decisions about the suitability of articles;
- to review articles as needed; and
- to assist in the copy-editing process.
The Associate Editor may also need to take on the role of Editor in certain circumstances.
Role Description – Responsibilities:
- endeavour to be a leader in the specific field of practice underpinning the journal content as it helps the journal development, presence and standing within the international community;
- familiarise themself with the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) "Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors";
- familiarise themselves with the journal article template and APA referencing in order to assist in making decisions about articles at the first level of submission;
- be able to work as part of a team with their specialist-area Editor, and with the Editor-in-Chief as needed, in making important decisions about final acceptance or rejection of papers, cases of plagiarism, or complaints from authors or reviewers.
There should be three separate sections to the application.
- A cover letter (no more than 1 page) explaining why you wish to be associate editor of a particular issue.
- A current CV (no more than 4 pages) which outlines:
– your qualifications;
– employment history;
– research interests in the field; and
– publication record.
- A statement explaining how you demonstrate the selection criteria outlined below. It can be useful to frame your response using the STAR technique (STAR = S ituation... T ask... A ction... R esult) where you use examples that demonstrate you have a particular skill, knowledge or experience.
What we are looking for (Selection Criteria)
- Prior reviewing and editorial experience in the required field.
- Demonstrated excellent organisational and project management skills, and the ability to multitask, work under pressure, prioritise conflicting demands, and adapt to changing deadlines.
- Proven ability to forge and maintain high-trust, respectful and collaborative working relationships, as well as working independently.
- Demonstrated pro-active, flexible and ‘hands on’ approach to work and ability to work effectively and achieve results in a changing environment.
- Proven strong written and verbal communication skills and strong negotiation skills to deal with authors.
Submitting Your Application
The application should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, preferably as a pdf, by 5.00pm (JST), Friday, February 14, 2020. Your email subject line should be: Application Associate Editor: Name of Issue (e.g. Technology in Education). Please note that you may only apply for ONE associate editor position.
Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter, and we look forward to an application from you.
Dr Yvonne Masters
IAFOR Journal of Education
About the Journal
The IAFOR Journal of Education is an internationally reviewed and editorially independent interdisciplinary journal associated with IAFOR’s international conferences on education. Like all IAFOR publications, it is freely available to read online, and is free of publication fees for authors. The first issue was published in May 2013, and the journal continues to publish a minimum of two issues per year.
Indexed in: Scopus (from 2019), DOAJ, ERIC, EBSCO Discovery Service, Education Source, MIAR, TROVE, SHERPA/RoMEO, WorldCat and Google Scholar. DOIs are assigned to each published issue and article via Crossref.
Read the Latest Issue