- To promote international exchange
- To facilitate intercultural awareness
- To encourage interdisciplinary discussion
- To generate and share new knowledge
International | Intercultural | Interdisciplinary
The International Academic Forum (IAFOR) was founded in Nagoya, Japan, in 2009 as a research organisation, conference organiser and publisher dedicated to encouraging interdisciplinary discussion, facilitating intercultural awareness and promoting international exchange, principally through educational interaction and academic research. By creating opportunities for dialogue between academics and thought leaders, IAFOR has become a pioneer in providing the research avenues and visionary development solutions that are necessary in our rapidly emerging globalised world.
This information exchange takes place through IAFOR’s academic events in Asia, Europe, North America and the Middle East. IAFOR’s interdisciplinary conferences are diverse and inclusive network hubs, where academics come from all over the world to generate, share and nurture new knowledge and ideas. IAFOR makes much of the content generated freely available to the world through its Open Access publications and audiovisual media repositories.
IAFOR is comprised of three entities:
- The International Academic Forum, General Incorporated Association (Japan) is a social enterprise and non-profit entity registered under the laws of Japan.
- The IAFOR Research Foundation is a private nonprofit foundation, registered in the State of California and a 501(c)3 organisation under US tax code.
- The IAFOR Research Centre is housed in The Osaka School of Public Policy at Osaka University and the Centre’s funds are administered through Osaka University, a Japanese National University.
Governance & Academic Oversight
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors oversees the activities and operations of IAFOR, and ensures adherence to its mission. The Board has fiduciary and governance responsibility for the good operation and management of the organisation.
The International Academic Board (IAB)
The role of the International Academic Board (IAB) is to stimulate dialogue and draw in and on a wider research intelligence from conferences, publications, research and from IAFOR’s International Academic College (IAC).
The International Academic Board (IAB) is responsible for advising the IAFOR Board of Directors by:
- Reviewing and advising on the strategic academic direction of IAFOR
- Reviewing and advising on the effectiveness of IAFOR’s Conferences and Initiatives
- Reviewing and advising on the effectiveness of IAFOR’s governance, structures, and operations
- Reviewing and advising on IAFOR’s academic performance and profile
- Reviewing and advising IAFOR on potential new initiatives and opportunities
International Academic College (IAC)
The International Academic College (IAC) provides advice and expertise in support of IAFOR’s mission and activities.
Members of the International Academic College (IAC) contributes to and provides advice and expertise in support of IAFOR’s mission and activities. This may include as an advisor or co-opted member of the International Academic Board (IAB), as a peer reviewer for journals or conferences, as an advisor, or as a moderator or chair for conference sessions, introducing keynote speakers and new emerging interdisciplinary fields or as a potential mentor or trainer.
The Publications Committee oversees the production of the IAFOR journals and other publications such as conference proceedings and THINK magazine. The main role of the Committee is to develop and maintain international levels of best practice across all IAFOR publications, following the guidelines laid out by the global forum COPE, the Committee on Publication Ethics, in their Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors. This involves supporting the journal editors in their work and providing guidance regarding publication ethics to all relevant actors, including contributors, reviewers and editors.
Ethics and Compliance
IAFOR is committed to the highest standards in the prevention of Money Laundering (AML), Bribery and Corruption (ABAC), Counter Terrorism Financing (CTF), Fraud and other punishable criminal acts. We will adhere to all laws and regulations applicable to our business activities and expect our members, partners, and customers to have the same standards.