The IAFOR Journal of Literature & Librarianship Executive Editor, Dr Joseph Haldane, is looking for an experienced researcher to be appointed as Editor for the journal. The new Editor will be responsible for up to two issues per year.
About the Journal
The IAFOR Journal of Literature & Librarianship aspires to find a balance between promoting cutting-edge research in the relevant fields and providing a forum for dialogue about the forms, roles and concerns of literature and librarianship in the 21st century. It also aims to place the latest work of well-established and respected experts alongside the breakthrough pieces of up-and-coming academics, fostering the sense of a conversation between generations of thought leaders.
Indexed in: Scopus (since 2019), SCIMAGO, DOAJ, SHERPA/RoMEO, Google Scholar, Scilit, Library Literature & Information Science Full Text (H.W. Wilson), MIAR, TROVE, WorldCat, Library & Information Science Source, Ulrich's™, ScienceGate and [email protected]. DOIs are assigned to each published issue and article via Crossref.
At the present time, the journal has a review board in place with 21 Board Members and 17 Reviewers (see here). The newly appointed Editor will have a role in future appointments in these positions as well as in the recruitment and appointment of new associate editors.
The key roles of the journal editor are:
- to promote scholarship in the field of literature and librarianship;
- to encourage new and established authors to submit articles;
- to establish a reliable panel of expert reviewers;
- to ensure that any feedback to authors is constructive;
- to offer feedback to reviewers when required;
- to ensure that deadlines are met;
- to liaise with the Journal’s Administrator in the review and processing of manuscripts; and
- to liaise with the Publications Manager regarding layout and cover art.
The editor should:
- have a PhD in a relevant field;
- have a strong publication record;
- endeavour to be a leader in the scholarship of literature and librarianship;
- familiarise themselves with the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) ‘Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors’;
- familiarise themselves with the journal article template and APA referencing in order to assist in making decisions about articles at the second level of submission (following pre-screening by the IAFOR Journal Administrator);
- work as a team with Associate Editors in making important decisions about final acceptance or rejection of papers, cases of plagiarism, or complaints from authors or reviewers.
Writing the Application
- A cover letter (no more than 1 page) explaining why you wish to be editor of the IAFOR Journal of Literature & Librarianship;
- A current CV (no more than 4 pages) which outlines:
- your qualifications,
- employment history,
- research interests in the field, and
- publication record;
- A statement explaining how you demonstrate the selection criteria outlined below. It can be useful to frame your response using the STAR technique (STAR = Situation... T ask... Action... Result) where you use examples that demonstrate that you have that skill, knowledge or experience.
- Prior editorial experience in the required field;
- Demonstrated excellent organisational and project management skills, and the ability to multitask, work under pressure, prioritise conflicting demands, and adapt to changing deadlines;
- Proven ability to forge and maintain high-trust, respectful and collaborative working relationships, as well as working independently;
- Demonstrated proactive, flexible and ‘hands on’ approach to work and ability to work effectively and achieve results in a changing environment;
- Proven strong written and verbal communication skills and strong negotiation skills to deal with authors.
Applications close when position is filled
Target Publication Date: December 2022
The Editor will be appointed for 1 year and upon mutual agreement shall be appointed for the next year.
For more information and to submit your application, please contact [email protected]
Dr Joseph Haldane